Monday, May 18, 2009

What to do with BBQ?




My dear friend Laura brought me the ultimate gift for a cooking novice: authentic Kansas City barbecue sauce. It's very exciting when someone brings you a special ingredient, but it also leads to a lot of immediate questions, such as:
  1. What the heck do I do with this?
  2. If I don't want to make ribs, what else should I use this for?
  3. How much of it do I use?
  4. What is the appropriate side dish with a BBQ-sauced meat?
So, Internets, answer my questions! Guide me in the way of the BBQ!

4 comments:

exit_265c said...

Unlike opinions, everyone may have their own barbecue expert style but they all don't suck compared to yours.

You can't really go wrong here. You could make chicken with it and there's nothing wrong with putting barbecue sauce on any/everything if you're grilling. It's also very good with hiding the fact that something is utterly burnt.

How much you use is up to you, I prefer it being lightly brushed on after the meat has been cooked but some people put it on first and/or drown it in sauce later.

As for side dishes, typical southern/cookout fare works.

Joe said...

Yeah, you could definitely slather that sauce on just about any meat. It would probably be really tasty on broiled (or grilled) pork chops. As for good BBQ sides, you can't go wrong with potato salad and fresh greens (collards or turnips or kale).

Amanda said...

I haven't invested the grill situation at my parents' house yet, but this past week I made bbq chicken in the oven. I just put a little bit of sauce on the bottom of a pyrex, added a layer of raw boneless skinless chicken fillets and one chopped onion, and then covered it in the rest of the sauce. I think it all baked for about 40 minutes, but that - again - was probably too long. :)

I paired the bbq chicken with corn on the cob and rice. I like Joe's potato salad suggestion too.

Solon said...

Hey, quality Missouri sauce! As I remember that sauce tends on the spicier side so depending on your taste I would err on the lesser side.

I'd agree with your previous comments, and include my personal favorite, brisket.

chadwick.