Thursday, May 21, 2009

Meatball subs and Salad Dressing Help


After the panic and trauma and fear of the unknown that I now associate with cashew chicken, I was happy to make something comparatively easy and comfortable. Sean had a hankering for a meatball sub, which was his favorite sandwich at Subway before I moved in and insisted we eat at home all the time. 

I'm not sure this demands any cooking explanations. Frozen meatballs + marinara + cheese + sub roll. The end. 

But sometimes easy is exactly what you need. I'm pleasantly full and I didn't ruin anything, so I consider this a good day.


But I do think I could use your help. Sean doesn't much care for salad, but I quite like it and it's a great side for something like a meatball sub. Why doesn't he like salad? Because he only likes one thing in his salad: lettuce. 

In case any of you didn't know this, you should know the challenges I face as a new cook: my beloved hates condiments. Salad dressing, dips, ketchup, etc. He hates all of them. He'll eat some other veggies in his salad, such as tomatoes, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a simple, light dressing that would not offend his palate but maybe make salad more...um...palatable.

Any suggestions welcome!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I'll squeeze a little lemon juice on top of the salad and then add, and this is where it gets weird, pepper and a tiny bit of salt.

Joe said...

Pepper and salt?

NO WAY THAT IS TOO WEIRD DON'T DO IT!

Sean said...

i like pepper and salt on my salads.

Amber said...

i suggested that at the time. i may have to try it. watch out sean! i'm comin for you.

Bethany said...

This may be a little too much like "dressing" but I like to blend canned tomatoes with a little fresh basil, red wine vinegar, salt, and olive oil. Since he'll eat tomatoes in there, it might not be too much of a stretch?

I *heart* the blog, btw :-)