Tuesday, May 19, 2009

From palette to party: Our Wedding


When you're a visual person, with a design background to boot, you think in palettes. Most of the wedding blogs out there do fake little inspiration boards that I just love so I may play around with that concept a little in the future.

But for now, here is our wedding palette: Robin's egg blue, red, black and white. Why?
  • Red is my all-time favorite color and to me, signifies love, femininity and autumn.
  • Robin's egg blue is my favorite shade of blue, provides a great counterpoint to red and reminds me of Tiffany's (Breakfast at Tiffany's is my all-time fave).
  • Black and white will come into play with the little newspaper touches and in other patterns and ribbons.
This palette has become a little cliche in weddings lately, but I thought I'd show where the inspiration comes from and how I'd like to put it to use.

In my inspiration palette you can see:
Top left to right: Dorothy's ruby slippers and baby blue socks; Moira Shearer in The Red Shoes.
Bottom left to right: The poster for An American in Paris and a screenshot from The Red Balloon, both childhood favorites of mine.





Ideas of how we'll use this palette:
  • Top, left to right: A Gucci tie, from Bluefly and a shot of wedding programs tied with baker's twine from Snippet and Ink.
  • Middle, left to right: Red anemones in the bouquets; black and white textiles, shown in Martha Stewart Weddings; and an ABS Schwartz bridesmaid's dress from Bluefly.
  • Bottom, left to right: papier mache birds made from newspaper (I can't remember where I found this, but I think it was Ann Wood!) and tissue paper flower pom-poms from MS Weddings.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

These colors are my current favorites too! My kitchen is red, black, and white but I wanted a contrast color for my KitchenAid. I am after a bright, Tiffany-esque blue. I'm not entirely won over by their current blues, but that's fine with my wallet. :)

These will be beautiful at the wedding. And so easy to cupcake!

Sara said...

Great color choices. I love the simplicity (and re-wearability)of that kind of bridesmaid dress. Your colors are similar to my current/desired (since i just moved in) bedroom colors.

Sara said...

Also, I forsee myself making tons of tissue paper balls. Is this in my future?