Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Pepper-Lime Chicken

Happy Cinco de Mayo! We celebrated with Pepper-Lime Chicken, from a recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. 

You will need:
  • Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 teaspoon of shredded lime peel
  • 1/3 cup lime juice
  • 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
  • 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and/or basil (i used both because I didn't notice the "or" part)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt (I ended up adding more to the finished result)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Lime wedges (optional for garnish)

I stirred together the ingredients and marinated the chicken in the fridge for 30 minutes. Needless to say, Sean had to be at work at 3:30 and I was still marinating up until 2:30. Danger zone!

We didn't have a broiler pan, so I sent Sean out to get one. This was my first time using a broiler pan and it. is. awesome. Broil until the top is turning light brown, about six to seven minutes, then turn and brush with reserve marinade. Broil for six more minutes.


And you're done! I served the chicken with chips and salsa. The lime was subtle, but gave it a nice tang. I added a little salt because I love salt, but it is plenty flavorful already. 


Tomorrow, the leftover breast goes into Tex Mex Casserole. We'll just call this "casserole week." Now I'm hoping to go have a margarita; the best Cinco de Mayo I ever had was in Savannah, Ga. with my friend Bret. He had just finished a performance of "West Side Story," and a castmate's father decided to buy everyone rounds of Big Gulp-sized margaritas to go and we traipsed through the streets on our way to eat pizza at Vinnie Van Go-Go's. It was awesome and I hope your Cinco de Mayo is that memorable, too.

5 comments:

Bret said...

a)that does look delish
b)i just told that cinco story. belinda's dad was amazing buy like 12 jumbo margaritas. are you sure it was west side because i didn't really know belinda then. it was more likely guys and dolls.
c)isn't the ghettoness of vinnie's website amazing considering every other damned person is savannah is a graphic designer??

Amanda said...

I was expecting this recipe to be much more complicated. I'm glad it seems pretty easy; I am so unadventurous with chicken. :)

Unknown said...

Bret: You're right; it was "Guys and Dolls." And I was blown away by the 1995 aesthetic of the Vinnie site. Amazing.

Joe said...

Is that broiler pan actually in the broiler? Because it looks suspiciously like you just stuck it in the oven.

Amber said...

I asked someone about this and they told me that some ovens have the broiler in the very bottom and some broilers have a coil at the top. When I pressed broiler, a coil at the top heated up, so I figured that was it and just put it in the oven beneath that coil.

As for the bottom of the oven, it has one of those shelves that you put pots in, but doesn't seem to have any heat source. Unless I'm crazy. Which is possible.