Friday, May 22, 2009

Fettucine with Asparagus and Ham

Today we had Better Homes & Garden's Fettucine with Asparagus and Ham. This recipe is notably unsauced, relying on the four chopped roma tomatoes, asparagus and ham to pack the flavor. Does it work like that? Let's just say I ended up adding a little olive oil to the finished product.

The recipe called for cooked ham, but since deli ham was what I had on hand, deli ham is what went in the dish. I don't think we suffered for it.

Obviously you cook the fettucine. Duh. But in the meantime, you set some asparagus in a tablespoon of hot olive oil and cook until tender, then add the tomatoes and ham. Stir the mixture until heated throughout. Easy enough, right?

Then you drain the fettucine, toss it back in the pot, add the veggie/ham concoction and stir that up with some salt and pepper. Plate it, top it off with some parmesan and you're good to go.

This was a very light, very summery pasta dish. I ended up adding a little more olive oil, but if you can manage to twirl the fettucine AND stab a little of everything, you'll get a forkful of flavor. I am not quite that talented with the fork-twirling, but I'm sure most of you are masters.

The part that I actually marvel about is that four years ago, I didn't eat tomatoes OR asparagus. But look at me now! Climbing picky-eater Mt. Everests every week!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

This looks like exactly what I wish I had for dinner right now. Very nice.

Joe said...

I think cooking just sort of inherently makes you less of a picky eater, though I could be wrong.

WORDS OF WISDOM