Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Coconut Dulce de Leche Ice Cream

 My ice cream kick continues! For my Argentine wine club night, I decided to make Brittany Powell's Salted Coconut Dulce de Leche ice cream, which I thought would be a fun spin on a traditional Argentine cookie called alfajores, with dulce de leche filling dipping in coconut shavings.

This is the absolute easiest ice cream recipe ever. Take one can of dulce de leche (I used La Lechera), one can of coconut milk and one cup of half-and-half and mix. Add a little vanilla extract and a little sea salt.

 Put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours. I always try to cheat and put it in the freezer for 45 minutes and then make ice cream, but I learned my lesson. If you really let it get chill, the ice cream-making process is really so much faster. I put it in my ice cream maker and within 15 minutes had soft-serve consistency; then I froze it and although it froze a little hard, a few minutes spent defrosting did wonders.

It was delicious, but not quite what I expected. If I were to do it again, I might actually make honest-to-goodness dulce de leche to get a richer flavor. But for expediency's sake, this sure hits the spot!

2 comments:

brittany powell said...

Hey there, I think I know why your ice cream didn't look like mine. It appears that you used a can of La Lechera's sweetened condensed milk instead of their dulce de leche. The cans look almost identical and are usually next to each other on the grocery shelf. I've bought one instead of the other by accident before. Anyway, you may want to try it again with the dulce de leche. It comes out of the can a deep caramel color.

brittany

Amber said...

Thank you so much, Brittany! The can I used was the only one at my supermarket, but I bet if I check a different grocery store they'll have the right thing. The mixture still tasted good, but not quite dulce de leche-riffic. I'm going to have to try this one again!