Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Wine Country Salad

I am really bad at eating healthy, good lunches at work. I tend to eat a mix of leftover chips, Diet Coke, yogurt and breakfast bars.

But last week our office went out to lunch at The Baker's Crust, where I spotted the "Wine Country Salad" on the menu and thought, "Geez, I could make that at home."

It makes for a great lunch, with ingredients you could use in myriad other recipes so you aren't stuck with a bunch of stuff you wouldn't use again. You will need:
  • Strawberries
  • Grapes
  • Mixed Greens
  • Crostini (or croutons)
  • Goat Cheese
  • Candied pecans (optional)
  • Raspberry Vinaigrette
I used this (VERY EXPENSIVE) belle chevre goat cheese with Ile de France crackers that could easily become bread crumbs if I don't find myself using them again.

I also used this Olde Cape Cod raspberry vinaigrette, but it was really just okay. Go light with it; I was a little heavy-handed in the pouring.

Smear the chevre on the crackers and place on top of the salad, or use them as accompaniment on the side.

It was a delicious, sophisticated salad with simple ingredients. The goat cheese elevates it to the expensive realm, but I think this would be a great salad to serve at parties or to guests (wine party and cheese party, perhaps?).

No comments: