Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Baby Steps into Abstracts

 I've been taking little baby steps into abstraction with my watercolors over the past week. It's fun, but it goes wrong SO fast. It's kind of amazing how one wrong move can ruin it! But anyway, I thought I'd share some pictures of recent ones...I'm sure in a few years I'll think they're terrible!

 Close up. I love the bleeds. I used a dry brush for the edges.

 far away...

 And close. I sprinkled a little salt on top to get that mottled effect.

 Far away...

and close! I'm clearly into a pink/orange/purple palette at the moment.

I've always struggled with abstraction...I've worried too much about whether there's a purpose, whether it looks "right" and all that. But I'm trying to let go of that and just play with the paint. Isn't it funny how hard it is to just play?

No comments: