Friday, December 2, 2011

Let's Talk Make-up: New Loves and Swear-bys

Yesterday, I mentioned on Facebook that my coworkers and I have been having a love affair with red lipstick, but we all wear very different shades. That set off a discussion on make-up that I seem to keep having lately that I thought I'd bring to the blog.

I have a sort of insane make-up routine that's always being tweaked depending on my mood. I also have a mix of high-brow and low-brow make-up; I almost never drop serious money on eye shadow, but I almost exclusively wear expensive blushes and lip products. There's little rhyme or reason to it, but I will say that expensive makeup is worth it to get more saturated pigments. I wanted to share some of my current loves and old standbys:

Makeup Essentials



My current loves include the Tarte Matte LipLuster in Lively, a hot pink, and Revlon's Ravish Me Red lipstick. The rest of the items in here are stand-bys that I really should call swear-bys.

They include NARS Orgasm lip gloss and blush, Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner and L'Oreal liquid liner, Revlon's Photo Ready foundation, Benefit's Moon Beam (seriously! swear by!), Rosebud's Strawberry lip balm (I call it my "Man-Gettin Gloss"), Maybelline's Sunlit Bronze eye shadow, Maybelline Great Lash mascara, Anastasia Brow Powder and Tarte's Flushed cheek stain. I forgot to put it in, but I use a rotation of primers...right now I'm using some Cle de Peau that my friend sent me.

My wish list includes Nars Heat Wave and Funny Face semi-matte lipsticks and I've ALWAYS wanted to try Yves St. Laurent's Touch Eclait concealer.

How about you guys? What do I need to try? What do you swear by?

4 comments:

Kelly said...

It amazes me that we've put a man on the moon and I can't find a smudge-proof liner. Hrmm, are either of your go-to picks particularly budge-resistant??

Bret said...

Ha. i love and miss shopping for makeups with you.

i also miss working at shiseido nars and mopping makeup to send to you.

Amber said...

Kelly: Honestly, I HAVEN'T found a completely smudge-proof liner...I always look a little messy by the end of the day. I remedy this by keeping a concealer stick in my purse...and I also find liquid liner doesn't smudge and the gel eyeliner doesn't smudge as much as a pencil liner. Liquid is a bit heavy for daytime, though, in my opinion.

Amber said...

Bret: I'm still using the primer you sent me! And I used the Orgasm stick all summer...and I did purposefully type that response in that manner for maximum LOL.