Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yee Haw Industries prints

Happy Birthday to my Daddy (above, imparting life lessons to Sean)! My dad is a journalist, just like me. He loves books about war, Fresh Air with Terri Gross, Celtic culture and most of all, the Appalachian mountains.

In honor of my dad, I thought I'd feature the work of Yee Haw Industries a Knoxville, Tenn.-based print shop with an Etsy store here.

I came across their work a few years ago when I was searching for information about Appalshop, a media collective my father worked for in the '80s. Appalshop was founded as part of the War on Poverty in an effort to collect and preserve stories of mountain culture. 

And in a lot of ways, that's what Yee Haw Industries does, but visually. They created a poster for Appalshop, which led me to their site. Here are my favorites in their Etsy shop:

A lovely card quoting everybody's favorite Carter Family song: $13

A Loretta Lynn poster (I'd totally order this), complete with my friend Jamie's dad's favorite phrase, "Have mercy!": $50.

And the Appalshop poster that led me to them: $30.

No comments: