Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza with Arugula

I have a friend who hates when people use fruit in unexpected ways, so I'd imagine last night's dinner of pear and gorgonzola pizza would horrify her. I first had pear and gorgonzola pizza at Sammy's Woodfired Pizza in San Diego and it was scrumptious. I kept swooning with every bite. If you ask my friends, they will vouch: I rhapsodized about this pizza.

I originally planned on making my own crust (I know! Who do I think I am?!), but time was not on my side, so a Boboli crust had to do.

I brushed it with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to give a little sweetness to the pizza.

I sprinkled a layer of mozzarella and gorgonzola...


Then added arugula and pears...


And then MORE mozzarella and gorgonzola, along with another dribble of balsamic...


And ta-da! I had gourmet pizza at home. It was totally delicious, but I don't know if two layers of gorgonzola was really necessary. I was scared to death that the pizza wouldn't taste as good, but it came close. I'll have to try again when I make dough from scratch.

Making any kind of dough from scratch really intimidates me. I think yeast alone intimidates me. Have any of you encountered any yeast disasters I should be prepared for?

No comments: