Friday, January 9, 2015

Jams of the Week

It's been a looooong time since I've done one of these, primarily because moving so completely dominated my thoughts that I couldn't even register anything not house-related. BUT we've finally turned that corner, so I'm happy to share what I've been digging these days.

We've been working overtime to catch up on all the buzzy movies out right now. We've seen Big Eyes, Into the Woods, Top Five, Wild and now, The Imitation Game. Every one has its merits, but I actually think I enjoyed The Imitation Game the most. Who knew movies about math and computation could be so moving?

 My friend Bret has been on my case about not watching The Good Wife since 2009. I kept begging off, arguing that since it wasn't available on Netflix, I couldn't get caught up and it seemed like a show that would be more rewarding if you watched from the beginning. Well, he told me at the New Year that there were no more excuses, so I've started tearing through the episodes on Amazon Instant. We just finished the first season...in one week! The writing is really superb and I'm most impressed by the amount of insidery legal stuff that is featured on the show. I feel like I'll be a paralegal by the time I'm done!

 Every year, my mom puts Land O Lakes hot cocoa in my stocking. It's not easy to find in most stores, but she buys all the flavors in bulk at Sams Club and I'm most obsessed with the Warm Oatmeal Cookie flavor. It's my favorite cocoa ever.

I've been reading Amy Poehler's sweet book, "Yes, Please" and really struck by how much of her mother hen personality comes through. She's clearly a connector — someone who really wants the best for the people around her and to impart as much helpful knowledge as possible. I love that, so the fact her book is part-memoir, part-motivational book works when it probably wouldn't from a different author.

No comments: