Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What Are You Reading?

Just a couple weeks ago, I had gotten caught in an endless "Hunger Games" loop of rereading the books, literally hungry for more of those damn games. My friend Nakiya asked me what I was going to read next, and I knew I better read something good to come down from that high. I took a little inspiration from the movie, though, and after looking at Jennifer Lawrence's list of upcoming projects, spotted a movie in development called "Serena." 

It turns out it's based on a 2009 novel by Ron Rash, a great Appalachian author, and is like Lady Macbeth set in the timber business, on the cusp of the Great Depression and the famous chestnut blight. It's interesting, reading a book with such an unlikeable lead character, but I'm finding it really deliciously dark. The movie doesn't come out till 2013, so it's nice to be ahead of the bandwagon for a change.

 Next on my list will be this book, a big best-seller this year about college baseball and coming-of-age...

And then another coming-of-age story, but this time about the true life love and friendship between Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe. 

I'm probably going to go ahead and load the next two on my Kindle for our flights to Ireland (next week! OMG!!). What are you reading these days? Any book you just have to evangelize because it was that good? Any huge letdowns?

2 comments:

Nakiya said...

Thank you!
I have Serena on my to-read list as well! I've read The Art of Fielding, and I really enjoyed it...but warning - there are a LOT of baseball scenes which were soooo boring for me. Still recommend reading it though.
I love me some dystopia novels, so I am reading The Children of Men by P.D. James. Not sure if you've seen the movie or not, but apparently they are a bit different.

Nakiya said...

p.s. I am so excited for you + Ireland!