Monday, January 24, 2011

New Artwork!


In the past couple weeks, Sean and I really took our domestication to the next level. We got an original piece of art framed! Believe it or not, I had never had something professionally framed. When I was an art student, we cut our own mats and that was just fine for the purposes of displaying around the art building. But this...this had to be done by a professional.


The piece is a GIANT print of a hippo, gifted to us for a wedding present by Daniel Burke, the younger brother of my wedding photographer. We had gone to his senior show, and I had said how much I liked the hippo, and Daniel very sweetly left it on our doorstep the day before our wedding! We were stunned by this generosity, and then put it away and wondered what to do with it.


Ultimately, we went and got a couple quotes and ended up using Hampton Roads Art Wholesalers, who are true pros. (It's also where I bought all my sable watercolor brushes in college!) I chose the silver frame because I wanted something to lighten the heaviness of the black ink, and I also thought it would give it a '70s feel. 

For now, it lives above our sofa, but I think it would be super cool in a kid's room (if it wasn't too scary) or a man cave. I was so energized by the experience of getting something framed (it took 3 days!), that I sat down and measured ALL of our unframed paintings, prints, drawings, etc. and prioritized what to frame next. At the end of this week, we're going to pick up a painting by Sean's cousin, so by next week, we'll have another big piece to hang!

P.S. If you're curious, we hung the print using big picture hooks nailed into studs that can hold up to 100 pounds.

No comments: