That right there is a silver tray of grilled cheese sandwiches, so you know this was a good night! For Wine Club this week, Ashleigh hosted Chardonnay and She-Crab Soup Night (She-Crab soup not pictured, but it was proclaimed "the best ever" and you can get it at Mannino's). If you've followed along on our wine-drinking escapades, you know Chardonnay is decidedly NOT a wine club fave, but we were pleasantly surprised to find we really liked some of the wines!
Ashleigh made a selection of grilled cheese sandwiches that were all delicious: a classic American cheese sammie, a caprese version and a ham and cheese with pineapple jam, an inspired choice that was totally great.
Ooey gooey goodness.
Here's the line-up of the Chardonnays we sampled:
- Chalkboard Chardonnay: I picked this bottle up at Kroger and actually quite enjoyed it! It's a smooth Chardonnay, not oaky at all, with tropical notes and hints of vanilla and spice.
- Belle Ambiance Chardonnay: This Chardonnay's description says it has notes of "lemon zest, honeysuckle, toasty oak, apples, pears and marshmallows." What? But hey, it was good!
- Luc Pirlet Chardonnay: This was a legit Chardonnay from France and had the most traditional flavor. It was unoaked (our preference), but was a little dry for my taste. I'm willing to bet legit wine drinkers probably love this and would make fun of my unsophisticated palate!
- Estancia Chardonnay: This was my favorite, with strong hints of honey and pineapple. I went back for a second glass on this one.
- FJ Serra Chardonnay: Another smooth, drinkable Chardonnay with strong notes of honey that I really liked.
Now that we found Chardonnays we liked, I predict our Wine Club will be undergoing an identity crisis! In the meantime, we're getting pumped for our upcoming family-style Italian night, complete with Chianti.