Thursday, May 31, 2012

Today I Like ... Celadon

On a scale of one to 10, how obnoxious would it be if I told people my favorite color is celadon? I mean, you'd hate that person, right? No one wants to ask what someone's favorite color is and get back, "puce" or "carnelian" or "lapis." But here's the truth: sometimes there is only one name that fits for your favorite color, and at the moment, the only name that can describe my favorite shade of milky blue-green mint is celadon.

 Celadon looks especially good when it's repeated, like in this room by Amy Butler.

 It's like that cool jade color you see in the background of Chinese wallpaper. I never knew the right name for it. Isn't it so lovely in this bathroom from Atlanta Homes?

 A grassy green shade painted on the cabinets, with celadon-painted checkerboard floors, from Country Living.

Celadon




The name of the color comes from a type of glaze and ceramics ware made in China. It's the same color that graces the boxes of Laduree macarons...if that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is. Here are some celadon items that have caught my eye:

  1. Amazing iPhone cover, $35. I love how it looks like ceramics!
  2. Necklace, $36 from Bauble Bar.
  3. Earrings, $120 from etsy seller Catherine Nicole.
  4. Celadon bowl, $175 by CC Ceramics on etsy.
  5. Garden stool, available to the trade, but also sometimes pops up on One Kings Lane.
  6. Paint in "Rain" by Serena and Lily.
  7. Rug, $2,750 from Calypso St. Barth. (I would check Overstock for copycats at better prices!) 

No comments: