Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Our Wedding: First Look

Shortly before the ceremony, Sean and I met at the Ferguson Center for the Arts to do a "first look." I realized right before we left the hotel that I needed my bouquet, so Sean picked it up at the venue and was standing there, waiting with it.

It was a gameday at our alma mater and marching band members were wandering through the area, showing the building to their parents who were visiting for Parents Weekend. As I walked toward Sean, I passed student after student. Some of them nodded my way, some grinned, some averted eye contact; I beamed and floated.

Katie served as our videographer and Ryan, our photographer, stood beside Sean as I made my way toward him. Ryan had never done a "first look," so the concept confused him a bit, but you would never have known it by the pictures.

I expected that we'd have this incredibly emotional, uncharacteristic, weepy reunion. But when Sean turned around and handed me the bouquet, the first thing I thought was: This is the same man I live with. And it was a comforting thought. Why should we be anyone other than who we are, just because we're more dressed up than usual? I thought he looked handsome in his gray suit, and I hope he thought I looked pretty. I remember he forgot to say so, and I teased him for forgetting.

Ryan suggested I do a twirl, and I was happy to do so. I loved the skirt of my dress so much! My shoes were from Nina Shoes; they're called "Forbes."




When I met with my florist, we quickly realized my favorite flowers, such as anemones and ranunculus, would be way out of season. I also love dahlias, so I told her I'd love to see some dahlias in my bouquet.

I had a few people ask me how on earth I got this amazing bouquet, and while I'm giving all the credit to my amazing florist, My Favorite Things of Williamsburg, I'm reserving a little credit for myself. My #1 bridal tip is to be clear about what you want, if you have a vision. I told her I wanted something unique, that looked a little wild. I didn't want anything neat or too precious. I said I wanted it to look antique, and have a palette that wasn't expected for fall bouquets: pinks, peaches, browns, burgundies and greens. She executed it perfectly.

Anyone who knows me well knows I DIE for stripes, so it was no surprise I chose striped ribbon. I'm pretty picky about ribbon; I don't really like sheer ribbon at all, and it's the standard go-to for weddings. I bought my striped ribbon at M+J Trimming in New York.

My nail polish color, by the way, is Essie's Fishnet Stockings.

After our first look, we went our separate ways to go to the venue. Before the wedding day, I had worried that it would make the marriage moment anti-climactic. That was not the case at all. I arrived at the venue giddy and excited. I was going to get married, and everyone I love was taking their seats.

Tomorrow: Our ceremony and our photo session.

3 comments:

The Madd Crafter said...

So, Looking at these pictures made me just remember something.

Our junior prom I was a bit output that Joe got me the kind of bouquet you had to hold in your hand, like how the bouquets were for the wedding. And you were totally all "OMG NO! That is the perfect kind of bouquet! That's the kind I want next year and when I get married!"

I'm so glad you stuck with that dream. haha

Joanna Goddard said...

these photos are so, so sweet! you both look so gorgeous and happy :)

Amber said...

Thank you so much, Joanna! I'm a big, big fan of your wedding, as well.