Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Old Bay Breaded Chicken

If you haven't noticed, I eat a lot of chicken breast. Like, a LOT. This is for several reasons:
  • Chicken breast is versatile and adaptable.
  • You can take one down and freeze the rest.
  • It's perfectly proportioned for cooking for one.
There is really only one bad thing about chicken breast: it gets SO BORING. Sure, you can spice it differently, but there's only so much you can do if you didn't prepare a marinade ahead of time.

So the other night, I decided to try Panko bread crumbs (I usually make my own) and while I was in that aisle, I noticed Old Bay sells Old Bay Bread Crumbs. That sounded delicious but also like a waste of $3 for something I hoped I could make myself.

I set up my usual assembly line: Flour with salt and pepper, beaten egg and a dash of milk, and panko crumbs mixed with Old Bay seasoning.

Work down the assembly line and set the breast aside.

Put some vegetable oil in the pan and fry up your chicken breast.

And dig in to deliciously flaky, spicy chicken breast (with salad on the side).

It totally worked! Old Bay + Panko crumbs = subtly spiced, super quick weeknight eating for one.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I should make chicken more often than I do. It's so easy and fulfilling.