Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wine Wednesday: Steak Night

Wine Club gathered at my house last week for one of our most brilliant ideas yet: BYOS, or Bring Your Own Steak night. Each of the girls brought a cut of steak for Sean to grill and a bottle of red and it was a delicious, easygoing night. We sampled:

  • Hob Nob Pinot Noir: An easy-to-drink, almost sweet pinot perfect with steak and heavy food.
  • Belcreme de Lys Pinot Noir: Probably my favorite of the night, this pinot was also light and drinkable for a red, with notes of cherries, strawberries and mocha.
  • Corison Cabernet Sauvignon: A floral and fruity red, a great counterbalance to our steaks. Notes of blackberries, blueberries and plums.
  • And I brought a sangiovese that I unfortunately failed to note! I remember liking it, so if you recognize the label, it gets the Amber seal of approval.


 To go with our steaks, I served up a salad with tomato basil goat cheese, slivers of salami, focaccia croutons and my trusty Olive Garden dressing, plus Alexia's seasoned tater tots and the piece de resistance: Tupelo Honey Mac and Cheese. The top got a good dose of "coal dust" when I left it under the broiler a little too long, but every bite was still delicious.

 The girls enjoying the meal.

 Mmmmmm a messy food shot!

 Glorious mac. This recipe is also one of the easiest I've ever made. Just cook your macaroni, then once it's drained, add 3 cups of cream, two bags of shredded gouda, splashes of green hot sauce and Worcestershire, sauteed onions (if you'd like...I don't think they're necessary) and cook until the sauce thickens and the cheese is melted.

Once that's done, spoon it into a buttered dish already lined with a mixture of crushed Ritz crackers, panko bread crumbs and butter and then add the remainder of that to the top and heat in the oven until everything is melted gooey goodness. It was so good and so easy!

For dessert, I served up lemon sorbet and champagne floats. They were delicious, and a little bit potent!

Just writing this post made me crave that mac and cheese again...help me, I have a problem!

No comments: