Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Makeshift Patio Set

I realized I still haven't shared any pictures of what we ended up with for our deck! Ignore the icky deck boards...we know they need to be stained like whoa, but we need to get a day that is not as hot as it's been on the days we've been off.

Anyways, We spent a LOT of time debating the merits of various outdoor sets. I really wanted a modern and fun look, and unfortunately most sets are black and beige. Nothing to write home about. Then I really fell for a powder-coated aluminum set at Home Depot but kept waiting to pull the trigger because white outdoor furniture sounded like a lot of work to maintain. I got hit with the idea that we might be able to put together a more fun and unique set with separate items for the same price range (about $500) and set to work.

We ended up with a super marked-down patio table from Target called the Bryant that has a very modern look of weather-resistant faux-wood and a metal border. Combined with sale prices and my Target Red Card discount, this bad boy ended up being about $142. 

I searched high and low for the right chairs, debating the merits of armchairs and wicker and all that, and ultimately went with the Poinciana metal chairs from World Market. I bought these when they were marked down to $49 each. I was debating getting end chairs that are armchairs, but I think I'm going to go pick up two more of these chairs instead. The pop of coral is so fun and adds a sculptural element. I think they look quite nice with my mod white planters.

Finally, I skipped a colorful umbrella knowing I would be getting colorful chairs and picked this beige-and-white striped umbrella up from Bed, Bath & Beyond for $40 (after I used a couple gift cards...otherwise it would have been $120 for the umbrella and the base).

All told, our makeshift patio set has cost us less than $400! 


We had our first guests for dinner on the patio on Friday night, and had skirt steak with chimichurri sauce and a twist on caprese/bruschetta with peaches instead of tomatoes. So good, and such a fun pop of flavor!

And to top it all off, I made the rose sangria that Melissa served at Wine Club and it was so, so tasty and easy to make. I can't wait for more summer nights outside!

1 comment:

Laura R. said...

I love it all! The chairs are super fun.