Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Quick Mongolian Chicken Stir-Fry


As you know, I'm a stir-fry newbie, but it's quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to get a bunch of veggies in my belly without feeling tempted to douse them with ranch. This is a pretty quick 'n' easy dish, but packs a lot of flavor! Here were my two key ingredients:


When I spotted this spice rub at World Market, I knew I had to give it a shot. I'm sure you could find similar rubs at your store, or be able to whip together a facsimile.


And the other secret weapon: Eat Smart's vegetable stir fry. Again, you could do this yourself but I'm living in a make-dinner-in-under-30-minutes kind of world, so I'm happy to cut corners where I can. This mix has broccoli florets, broccoli slaw, carrots and snow peas. 

Ingredients
  • Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips or small pieces
  • Mongolian rub or comparable spice mix
  • Olive oil to drizzle chicken
  • Cooking oil (I used peanut oil)
  • Brown rice, cooked
  • Sauce mix for stir-fry: 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1/4 tablespoon of honey, sprinkle of ginger and 1/4 tablespoon of cornstarch. I made this up...feel free to add or reduce to taste!
Directions
  1. Cut the chicken into small strips or bites, then drizzle with olive oil before sprinkling the Mongolian rub liberally on all sides. 
  2. Heat about 2-3 tablespoons of your cooking oil of choice on medium-high heat, then add the chicken.
  3. Once the chicken pieces are cooked through, remove them to a separate plate but DO NOT remove the leftover oil. 
  4. Add your stir-fry veggies to the oil and pour the soy sauce mix. Work quickly to toss the veggies in the sauce before they get too soft or the sauce congeals too much.
  5. Add your cooked brown rice to the pan and toss with the vegetables and sauce, then serve with chicken on top.


No comments: