The internet is a magical place. I googled "best steak marinade" and scrolled past a few links, including one from All Recipes called "best steak marinade," until my eye landed on this blog entry, called "John's Best Steak Marinade in Existence."
I was intrigued, so I clicked the link and was surprised to find a picture of none other than John Legend, showing off his steak marinade. What?! Apparently his fiance has a cooking blog, just like the rest of us, and she wrote an entry about his favorite steak ever. Turns out, he did exactly what I did: googled "best steak marinade ever" and landed on that All Recipes link. An endorsement from John Legend was good enough for me!
In a bowl, I combined:
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (watch this part...I might have gone a touch overboard)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce...I put in some hot sauce (optional)
I marinated the steaks for the day, while I was at work, and popped those bad boys on the grill pan as soon as I got home. Easy breezy!
The marinade was tangy and flavorful...I put a touch too much lemon juice in, but we both agreed John Legend did not steer us wrong.