Friday, December 18, 2009

Lemon Wreath Cookies

This is the epic story of baking Martha Stewart's Lemon Wreath Cookies.

I started these cookies at 10 p.m. Wednesday unaware that I was at the bottom of the sugar and flour jars. I trudged out to buy more sugar at CVS, dumped it in and then realized it wasn't supposed to be dumped in. So I just tossed it, felt bad for myself and started over Thursday.

I love lemon and I love cookies, so why not lemon cookies? Let's throw it down, shall we?

I zested the crap out of my lemon, then added to sugar and pulsed in the blender for about 2 minutes.

Then I was supposed to add the lemon sugar to 2 sticks of unsalted butter and mix until fluffy. Here is where it would have been really nice to have a KitchenAid standing mixer because I have made so many cookies that I literally was out of high-walled mixing bowls and had to use a smaller one, shielding the rims with my arms as though me and the bowl were dancing. Butter still flew everywhere and I knew better, but what was i supposed to do? Every other mixing bowl was occupied with dough or flour or glaze.

Any way, through some strenuous mixing, I managed to achieve pale and fluffy. I added one egg at a time, beating after each.

Then in went the vanilla and lemon juice (freshly squeezed, thankyouverymuch).

I then slowly added the flour mixture pictured at the top.

I also prepared the lemon glaze -- always delicious. Confectioners sugar + lemon juice = fabulousness.

I took balls of dough and rolled them into little ropes, connecting the ends to form little donut-shaped cookies. Popped them in the oven at 350 degrees for almost 18 minutes, until brown on the sides and bottom.

I dipped each cookie in the glaze, then sprinkled Christmas-y nonpareils on top.

So all of that looked easy enough, right? So explain to me how I was making these cookies from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.? Seriously, I have problems. I think part of it is the lack of proper tools, etc., so hopefully registering for wedding gifts will take care of some of these issues (hint hint!).

Have a great weekend ya'll, and try to enjoy the snow if you get stuck in the house. Sledding is the best thing ever and you should never forget it!

No comments: