Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The no-good, very bad day

Please excuse an interruption from your normal Amber-Learns-to-Cook material. This week has been like an extended version of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. The short version:
  • Boss on vacay, which means the world explodes in our faces.
  • Work-related emergencies compounded by technical SNAFUs.
  • Running late to attend a meeting, I got rear-ended on an exit ramp yesterday.
Have you guys been rear-ended? It seems like the commonest thing in the world, like something that is probably happening right now in 1,000 different locations. But when it happens to you, it's literally like a mild earthquake: not exactly horrible damage, but shakes you up enough to feel imaginary reverberations throughout the day.

The force of the bump was strong enough to dislodge a CD that had been stuck in my CD player for a year (yes, I'm a mess), which flew out and landed on my driver's console. Thank goodness the airbags didn't deploy!

I think the whole thing would not have been a big deal, except I had to hop right back in my car after exchanging insurance info and head straight to the meeting. I was nauseous for the rest of the day and progressively convinced myself I had a concussion until it occurred to me that people who are concussed probably don't take perfect notes for 3 hours.

A bowl of vanilla ice cream and a mini marathon of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" seemed to cure what ailed me. I gotta get back to work, but know that tomorrow, I'll have a post about pizza crusts ready to go!

No comments: