Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes

That picture right there? That's my nightmare.

I've spent a lot of time on this blog bemoaning Sean's various food quirks, but I've spent much less time talking about mine. My biggest, most offensive one? Potatoes. I'm not that much of a fan.

I like my potatoes to be void of potato taste. That means I liked them fried to oblivion, covered in seasoning salt or cheese or bacon or ranch dressing or ketchup. I had conquered many food mountains that once scared me, like shrimp and Indian food, but mashed potatoes are still my Everest.

People wonder how can this be. I can't offer reasons. I just wince when I take a big mouthful of mushy, unadulterated potatoes.

It is my fortune, then, that I'm marrying a man I call Irish McIrish O'Bunch whose favorite foods are potatoes, meat, more potatoes and peas.

I knew I couldn't deny him his favorite food forever, but I wanted to find a potato dish I could enjoy, too. So I did a search for roasted potatoes and came up with several variations on a theme: Crispy Parmesan Potatoes.

I boiled 9 or 10 Baby Dutch yellow potatoes for about 5 minutes and allowed them to cool.

Once they cooled, we cut them into quarter slices, then I drizzled them with (in this order): olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder and grated parmesan, tossing as I went.

I then placed the potatoes in a dish I spritzed with PAM and put them in the oven to roast at 350.

When I say I like them crispy, I mean crispy, so I let them roast for a little more than 25 minutes. I can admit our steak probably suffered because my timing was all off, but the potatoes were MAGIC. I LOVED them.

They were potatoey (yeah, it's a word I just made up) enough for Sean and crispy and flavor-packed enough for me. They are totally my new staple side dish.

2 comments:

ashleigh t. said...

Yay potatoes!!

pbarfield said...

Ugh, I WISH I could hate potatoes. I have to go so far as to just NOT have them in the house - otherwise, I could concoct a potato dish for every night of the starchy-carb-laden week.