Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Our Ultimate Basic Fall Fest


This past weekend, we tried for the second time this year to have a backyard party, this time to celebrate the new fall chill in the air. So, naturally, we had a hurricane watch and thick humidity. Womp womp! My party planning skills are seriously being put to the test, but nonetheless, we had a wonderful time.

While wandering the aisles of pumpkin beer at my local grocery store, I was struck by the idea it would be fun to have a party devoted to all cliche things of fall: pumpkin, apple cider, decorative gourds, boots and flannel. Thus, the Ultimate Basic Fall Fest was born!

I couldn't resist going all out, so I'm basically fully decorated for all of fall.

We tore through many, many varietals of hard ciders, pumpkin and maple beers. I especially loved this Harpoon Pumpkin Cider.

 On the menu was pumpkin beer and chocolate chili, Tupelo Honey's mac and cheese and I ordered sweet potato biscuits from Handsome Biscuit, a now-legendary biscuit emporium in Norfolk. I got one dozen with arugula pesto, roasted red pepper and mozzarella...

Along with a dozen biscuits topped with Edwards ham, cucumber and spicy pimento cheese. They were delicious!

 I decorated with Dollar Tree fall flowers and string lights (which fell and broke...oops).

 I'd be remiss to not give a strong shout-out to Costco's three-flavor artichoke dip. Another winner!

 We had a delicious dessert table (not pictured: a delicious pumpkin cheesecake made by my friend Lauren's boyfriend David) including mini pumpkin bundt cakes, apple cider donuts and green apple caramel bites.

 But, most importantly, I made incredibly strong and delicious Apple Cider Jello Shots and that was the real real. The shots were made of Fireball, hard apple cider and Dr. McGillicuddy's Apple Pie liquor, which is magically delicious.

And last but not least, a shot of our revelers. Despite the storm, we had a packed house of great friends from near and far and it was great fun! Already pondering my next fete...holiday party, maybe?

No comments: