Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wino Wednesday: Hallowino 2010

Our wine club had its second "Hallowino" gathering last week, and I thought I'd share some pictures for those of you with big, fun plans for the weekend. Our hostess Jennifer went above and beyond, decorating and making cute appetizers. She twisted Pillsbury breadsticks into bones!

And created fangs with apple slices and almond pieces.

Like last year, we brought wines with haunted or spooky labels and themes. I didn't manage to get pictures of all of them, and a week later, I barely remember what they tasted like, but I can at least give you a rundown of what we've got pictured:
  • Twisted Pinot Grigio: This is a citrusy white wine that says it's "an enchanting taste of summer, regardless of the season." I don't remember loving it or hating it; I barely remember it, so that's gotta mean something, right?
  • Bogle Phantom: This is a blend of petit syrah, zinfandel and mourvedre, and a favorite of ours. We had Bogle Phantom last year as well, and it's a great, drinkable wine. I personally love blends.
  • Garnache de Fuego: (not pictured). The web site says it's smoky cherry meets licorice and chocolate. I don't remember, to be honest!
  • Twisted Cabernet Sauvignon: This is a smoky, oaky wine with hints of vanilla, which I love. I like cabs, plain and simple.
  • Vampire Cabernet Sauvignon: This was also a blend, of mostly cab with merlot and syrah. I seem to remember it being spicy.
  • Apothic Red: This was another blend of syrah, merlot and zinfandel, with hints of vanilla and chocolate. I love those smooth, oaky vanilla-y reds, so I liked it.
Our party demanded costumes, of course. What would a wine club be without a devil and angel to sit on our shoulders?

The group: an 80s jazzerciser, Mrs. Freddie Krueger, an angel, Snooki, Dorothy, a Frenchman, a devil and a luau attendee. I had to scramble to come up with a costume and then remembered my Francophile self has striped shirts out the wazoo and the perfect red beret, so Frenchman it was. Quite appropriate for wine club, if I do say so myself.

Have fun on your Halloween weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Would you ever do an Oregon pinot noir night so that I can link to you? Because, let me tell you, these Oregon pinots are effin amazing. Srsly.

Amber said...

It's an idea! Maybe we should do a West Coast vs. East Coast night.