Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lemon Chicken Scalloppini

I've had the last remnants of a box of white wine in my fridge for...too long. I knew the wine wouldn't be good enough to drink, but I thought I could try my hand at cooking with wine.

I found this recipe for Lemon Chicken Scalloppini through Foodgawker (an excellent way to sort through the cooking blogosphere!). I had lemon, I had chicken, I had wine. Sounded like I was in business.

I did not, however, have capers, so I can't accurately attest to the deliciousness of this dish. But my version, sans capers, was moist and wonderfully flavored, both subtle and zesty.

I sliced a chicken breast in half to get thinner slices, then pounded it with a mallet and flour'd it up, seasoned with salt and pepper.


Then I fried the chicken in butter and olive oil (seriously my butter consumption is through the roof!) until both sides were browned.


Then I added 1/4 cup of white wine and a cup of chicken broth and let that simmer until the sauce reduce by half. Finally, I added lemon pieces and let those simmer, as well.


Garnished with parsley and then sat down to eat.

Cooking with alcohol, I've found, is very fun from a chemistry perspective. It's like all the best experiments you ever did, where you would add one ingredient to another and suddenly there was hissing and crackling and steam and a surge of bubbles and an incredibly satisfying hiss. I love that!

P.S. This was great weeknight cooking; fast and easy and delicious.

No comments: