Monday, April 4, 2022

Fashion Review: Grammys 2022

Grammy's AFTER the Oscars? Not a fan. But I do love that the Grammy red carpet always offers an opportunity to take the fashion road less traveled, in ways that both delight and befuddle. It's almost a bigger sin to be conventionally tasteful than it is to be wackadoodle. There's a fine line, though, between wacky fashion that's daring and wacky fashion that's costume. Let's get into it. 

Best Dressed


The smile really says it all, doesn't it? It's been such a pleasure to see Lil Nas X defy anyone who believed he was going to be a one-hit wonder and simultaneously come into his own as an artist in the most beautiful, honest way. He was performing in Vegas and I love this futuristic Elvis-meets-King of Pop-meets-Dolly Parton's butterflies ensemble by Balmain. It's perfect for the occasion and perfect for him and you can tell he loves it.


Hot pink was the color of the night, and I'm not mad at it. This rose gold-and-hot-pink ruffly confection by Gucci is a spiritual cousin to Jessica Chastain's Oscars gown, and this feels as equally appropriate for a Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire routine as it does for the Grammys red carpet. St. Vincent has the stature to pull off just about anything.


Doja Cat was giving us alien glamour with her 90s-meets-futuristic spiky hair and her barely there seafoam Versace gown. It's quintessentially her, which is to say provocative, irreverent but still pretty.


If you can pull off 1992 bondage Versace originally modeled by Christy Turlington, by God, do it. Dua Lipa debuted platinum locks perfectly paired with an oxblood lip and stack of bangles. It was a great outfit for a presenter, past winner and present pop queen. 


I'm a sucker, and I can't help it. When confronted with voluminous ruffly highlighter-pink petals, I simply cannot resist. Chrissy Teigen looked luminous in this cherry blossom of a dress by Nicole + Felicia Couture.


Carrie Underwood usually plays it pretty safe with metallic or black dresses, so I thought this pillowy saffron Dolce & Gabbana gown was a nice change of pace and the effect of the color growing richer as the fabric descends is so lovely. It's such a happy color. 


With Billy Porter, it's never just the mere fabric. It's always a full story that he tells with his movement, his styling, his accessories. I love this ruffled oversized button-down shirt and pants combo by Valentino, but what really makes the entire look sing is the swipe of blue lipstick. It is just the right amount of shock and awe. The silver accessories are also unexpected, but add so much. 


Lady Gaga does character dressing with the best of them, and as someone who also likes to cosplay my way through life, I appreciate how she matches her fashion to the assignment. In this case, she was going to be paying tribute to Tony Bennett, so she came in Armani Prive fit for Grace Kelly. I like the little swipe of the black neckline that looks like the flourish of a pen. 


Halsey also served up an Old Hollywood femme fatale vibe in a trendy velvet bustier and long skirt, topped with an incredible hat. 


Chloe Bailey redeemed her underwhelming Oscars look with this beautiful disco ball of a gown and cape by Valentino. She looks ready to be the true dancing queen. 


Saweetie found a way to make the current peek-a-boob trend look classy as evening wear with this hot pink bra top and full skirt by Valentino, accented with long, long gloves. This color is great on her.


SZA managed to hobble her way around on crutches while still managing a peachy-nude tulle train. She looks like a goddess of spring in this explosion of florals by Jean Paul Gaulthier.


Megan Thee Stallion has the energy of a jungle cat, so her Roberto Cavalli tiger-and-leopard gown felt entirely fitting. She is ready to hunt her prey. 


I didn't care for Olivia Rodrigo's red carpet dress, but I loved the vintage-vibe slip dress trimmed with shirred chiffon, fishnets and platform combat boots she wore to perform. You can draw a straight line from Courtney Love's baby doll dresses to this performance, and whether her fans know that history or not, it's nice to see the nod.


This is really what I'm looking for from my rock stars, and I appreciate Michelle Zauner's haute couture Valentino gown looks like she might be playing a dahlia in a school play. This is the place to do it. She looks like sunshine! 


It was really Jon Batiste's night, and he wore progressively more dazzling and spectacular fashions throughout the show. I really like how this diamond-patterned sequined Dolce & Gabbana suit almost looks like a graphic snakeskin print. 


God help me, I love Travis Barker's hot pink Givenchy jacket that truly looks like it's the one Audrey Hepburn wears in Breakfast at Tiffany's. The way he's holding the sunglasses just so — I would not be surprised if he can recite Holly Golightly's whole speech about the Mean Reds. 

Best/Worst

If you're new around here, the Best/Worst category exists for something that is, ostensibly, bad but it is so undeniably ballsy and mirthful, you can't help but giggle.


Justin Bieber wore what must be Shaquille O'Neal's Balenciaga suit with Crocs fit for a Transformer and a hot pink beanie and yet...can I be mad at it when one of my very favorite things in rock history is David Byrne's giant gray suit in Stop Making Sense? I have no way of knowing if Justin even gets that reference, but like...what if he does??? Strange as it ever was.


Dillon Francis, a producer and DJ, did the absolute least and there's that dark part of me that is delighted by someone bringing their own snacks to the ceremony. Listen, if you're probably not going to win anything or ever be on camera, why NOT chow down on some Little Bites muffins from Walgreens? I'm impressed he even got in and security didn't say, you know, "Dude, this is a private event you're wandering into."


If you've ever asked yourself, "But what if Ursula the Sea Witch attended the Grammy's," never fear, I now know, thanks to Spice and her glorious green wig and sea of red ruffles that looks not so much attached to the dress as conjured, like angry waves.


I agree wholeheartedly with the message — "Love is the weapon" — if not the medium. This woman, Valerie Evigan, may have unintentionally distracted from her statement with her striped bun and ponytail combo, inflamed sleeves, orange carry-on purse and neon bodice. More is more but is the most the most?

Good


I like the idea of turning a fashion trope on its head with an unconventional fabric, like a vinyl-look take on a pink Material Girl gown. Tinashe, in my opinion, didn't quite nail the styling, but it's a fun gown. 


Tiffany Haddish wore one of her personal best gowns in this beautiful silver-and-gold sequined Prada. She's glowing, and I love the fact it looked as good from the front as from the back with the large bow. 


At this point, I've seen just about every variation on the quicksilver sequined gown, but I love the subtle interest of the cutout sides on Snoh Aalegra's Versace gown. It's sexy, but sly, and well-designed to emphasize all her assets. 


I was not familiar with Emonee LaRussa, but she's apparently an acclaimed motion graphics artist. What I like is her adventurous take on accessories — a headband halo straight out of the Renaissance and a giant pearl purse (my dream!). 


Leon Bridges managed to combine the best of his home state of Texas and the best of Vegas Elvis in this gold-embellished white suit with matching boots. I don't know if it's 100% working, but I like the gumption.


This feels a little casual for the Grammy's, but I was happy to see Maren Morris look like herself and not a Khloe Kardashian lookalike. This is a great take on couple dressing, complementary but not overly matchy-matchy. 


Sean Paul understands one of the shortcuts to a successful fashion look is black-and-white, mixed and remixed in complementary ways. I like this chalked coat/printed pant/platform Chucks combo a shocking amount.


Now, THAT is a fit. Elle King's bell-bottomed, flouncy-sleeved Christian Siriano suit is a model of good tailoring. It looks rock and roll. 

MEH


It can't be easy to pick a color scheme to color coordinate seven outfits around, but BTS consistently baffles me with their choices. This time we got brown and lavender — it feels like ugly brown suits are really having a moment — with Postal Service blue and slick, clean white. I do like that just one of them ever gets a gigantic flower accessory.


Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but this cartoonishly simulated beaded cleavage on a pink and black Vivienne Westwood gown feels a little too Hot Topic prom to me. I generally haven't been the biggest fan of Olivia Rodrigo's red carpet looks, but I think as she continues to evolve, she'll find her way.


Billie Eilish wore a Matrix take on a kimono by Rick Owens with combat boots and although I'm envious of her ability to find increasingly adventurous ways to be comfortable, I wasn't super in love with this look. I liked her Taylor Hawkins tribute t-shirt better!


Cynthia Erivo rarely missteps but I wasn't blown away by this zip-up robe gown over sequins. It might be the world's fanciest choir robe. It's not bad, it's just not my fave.


Remember when some guy from your high school insisted on getting the 1940's-style zoot suit for prom and thought it was the *coolest?* That's what Finneas reminds me of in his formal zoot suit pajamas by Gucci. I like the big fake orchid to lend some visual interest, but without it, this would be a great big blah.


H.E.R loves a Dundas jumpsuit, but I'm distracted by the visible seams in the midsection. I wish it had sequins all over the pants. She looks like she's going to be playing the Sun in a triumphant finale of "Annie." 


Theoretically, you can't go wrong with gray Dior Haute Couture, but the seams on the bustline of Rachel Zegler's dress just aren't terribly flattering. I wish it had more of a sweetheart neckline and the sleeves sat higher on her arms, rather that cut across her bust this way. I do LOVE her makeup and bob, however. This is really a close but no cigar look. 


This Gucci on Jared Leto is a LOT OF LOOK. It's 70% Waylon Jennings, with a little Brian Boitano thrown in with the sequined lace. The mix you never saw coming.  


Jimme Allen is giving me bandleader action hero, equally ready to play a ballroom or slide to home base. His shoes look both mesmerizing and very uncomfortable.

Worst Dressed


Yola here is captured mid-morph from beast to woman, and truthfully, I kind of love it. Furry beast arms and chopstick hair, roaring down the red carpet? Why the heck not. Who says we can't have Animorphs couture? 


There's daring fashion, and then there's fully coming in a Pokemon costume, and that's where we are with singer-songwriter Tayla Parx (writer of "Thank U, Next" and "High Hopes"). She looks like she had to hustle over to the ceremony after finishing a shift as a mascot at Universal Studios.


Li Saumet, a Colombian singer, looked like a cartoon come to life and honestly, there's part of me that just loves the complete confusion it must have caused all night. Her mask is like a cotton-candy interpretation of ancient Colombian masks, topping a pink flamingo dress and highlighter yellow sneaks. It's giving me Masked Singer, as though she wandered into the wrong auditorium.


I know the 90s are back but I don't think anyone really wants this type of puffy shirt and oversized brocade suit look back. Songwriter Ilsey Juber ("Nothing Breaks Like a Heart") looks a little like a down-on-her-luck footman in Amadeus-meets-Elaine Benes in the J. Peterman era. 

No comments: