More than in recent seasons, this fall's trends were really .... fall. Does that make sense? Classic colors, like pumpkin, burgundy, black and, to brighten it up, yellows from mustard to chartreuse. It brings a bit of sunshine on darker days, but also perfectly complements a classic fall palette. Yellow popped up on the runways of (left to right) Matthew Williamson, Emilia Wickstead, Elie Saab, Oscar de la Renta and Lela Rose.
Use it sparingly with these much more affordable options:
- If you've got it, flaunt it in this body-con yellow dress, $130 by Karen Millen.
- It might seem counter-intuitive, but I feel like this is the go-anywhere citron blazer, $228 at J.Crew. Wear it with gray pants, black dresses, plaid trousers, jeans and leopard flats...seriously, it could be just the thing a fall wardrobe needs.
- Brighten up the office in a yellow pencil skirt, $49 from Dillards.
- Another go-everywhere piece: a mixed-print gauzy mustard scarf, $28 from Nordstrom.
- Stay stylish in the football stands with this beanie, $6 at Target.
- Channel Mad Men in a funnel-neck sweater, paired with a midi plaid skirt or a pair of cropped pants, $64 from Topshop.
- Pad around town in chartreuse loafers, $56 at Threadsence.